Skip to menu Skip to content

You are on the Site provincial but we have localized your experience to the following region: ###detected_region###

Being a farm producer

How and why should I get farm producer status? Find out the answers to your questions!

New to farming?

Did you know that as a farm producer you get access to a wide range of services and benefits, especially when you become a UPA member? You’ll find everything you need to know on our page dedicated to new farm producers.

Know more

Producer status: everything you need to know

What do I need to know as the owner of a new farm business?

Did you know that as a farm producer you get access to a wide range of services and benefits, especially when you become a UPA member?

Find out everything you need to know in the section dedicated to new producers This link will open in a new window.

What constitutes farm producer status?

Farm producer status is defined in the Farm Producers Act. To qualify, you must be engaged in production of a farm product with an annual market value of $5,000 or more. You can become a recognized producer based on the volume you produce in one or more production types, even if your products are not sold yet.

What the law says: a few definitions

Farm producer
A person engaged in the production of a farm product except:

  • If they are engaged in such production as an employee
  • If they exploit the forest (unless it is on a wooded portion of their farm)
  • If the farm product is consumed entirely by their family
  • If the products intended for sale have an annual value under $5,000

Agricultural product
Any agricultural, horticultural, avicultural, livestock, or forest product in its raw state or partly or wholly processed by or for the producer, and any beverage or food product derived from it. Aquacultural products count as agricultural products.

See official documents regarding the This link will open in a new windowFarm Producers ActThis link will open in a new window.

How do I register my business with the UPA?

To register as a producer with the UPA, you need recognized producer status under the law.

Registering is easy: just call up the Dues Service at your regional federation (see contact info below) and make sure you have a few pieces of information handy. The service will open your file.

Required information:

  • Legal name of business
  • Contact information for the operation
  • Legal structure
  • Name and contact information of operators
  • Information regarding production

Optional – MAPAQ registration

Registering with the MAPAQ is optional and free of charge. However, it is mandatory if you want to participate in any MAPAQ programs. To obtain your identification number (NIM), simply contact the MAPAQ’s farm operation registration department at 1 866 822-2140.

Visit the MAPAQ website This link will open in a new window for further information.

How do I become a UPA member?

To become a UPA member and start reaping the benefits, you must obtain farm producer status, be added to the list of producers, and complete the registration form.

Do I have to pay dues to the UPA?

If you are recognized as a farm producer under the Farm Producers Act, you must be registered with the UPA and pay annual dues.

To learn about how your dues are calculated or how the UPA is financed, visit the Understanding how the UPA’s financing works section This link will open in a new window.

When do I have to pay the UPA my dues?

Dues are payable on January 1 of each year for current producers. New producers receive their Notice of Dues a few weeks after they obtain farm producer status.*

Producers eligible for the MAPAQ’s Farm Property Tax Credit Program (PCTFA) must pay their dues (and any interest owing) by November 30 of the current year in order to receive the credit the following year.

For further details on eligibility for the PCTFA, visit the MAPAQ website This link will open in a new window

* Note: If dues remain unpaid on July 1 of any tax year, the UPA charges interest at a rate of 1 percent per month (12 percent per year) starting on that date.

Anyone who becomes a producer within a given tax year must pay their annual dues immediately; if the dues are still unpaid 6 months after their first Notice of Dues has been received, interest is charged on the amount owing at a rate of 1 percent per month, starting on that date.

How do I pay my dues?

Through your financial institution (either in person or online)

If you would like to pay online, you must search for and add the UPA as a payee according to the instructions given by your financial institution.

Access the list of institutions to pay your dues This link will open in a new window

By mail

You can pay by mailing a cheque payable to the Union des producteurs agricoles, addressed to the attention of the UPA Dues Service:

Union des producteurs agricoles
Dues Service
100-555 Boul. Roland-Therrien
Longueuil, Quebec  J4H 3Y9

How do I find my reference number for online payment?

Your reference number is the same as your UPA number, which appears at the top right of your Notice of Dues. It is seven digits long (including any zeros).

What is the Assessment Credit Program?

The UPA developed the Assessment Credit Program to support multiple-owner and co-owned farms with gross incomes under $25,000.

The purpose of the credit is to support low-income producers structured as corporations, companies, associations, trusts, and co-owned farms by allowing them to pay a single assessment rather than a double one.

This means producers who would otherwise pay the cost of two assessments would pay the cost of just one, provided they meet all eligibility criteria for the current year.

See program details

I am no longer a farm producer. How do I have my file removed from the list of producers?

If your business no longer meets the criteria under the Farm Producers Act, you need to contact the UPA to have your file closed.

A file may be closed for any of the following reasons:

  • Your farm has been sold
  • You are renting your farm to someone else] 
  • You have ceased production

The Dues Service at your regional federation will tell you what documents you need to provide, either by email or regular mail, depending on the reason for removal. Documents may include the following:

  • Notarized bill of sale
  • Rental agreement
  • Tax statement indicating no agricultural activities or insufficient activities

How to contact the Dues Service at your regional federation

Fédération Click to open
  • Abitibi-Témiscamingue819 762-0833
  • Bas Saint-Laurent (La Pocatière)1 800 463-8001
  • Bas-Saint-Laurent (Rimouski)418 723-2424
  • Capitale-Nationale–Côte-Nord418 872-0770
  • Centre-du-Québec819 518-5838
  • Chaudière-Appalaches418 228-5588 ou 1 888 938-3872
  • Estrie819 346-8905
Fédération Click to open
  • Gaspésie–Les Îles418 392-4466
  • Lanaudière450 753-7486 ou 1 800 363-1726
  • Mauricie819 378-4033
  • Montérégie450 250-9154
  • Outaouais-Laurentides450 472-0440 ou 1 866 472-0440
  • Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean418 542-2032